Thursday, September 10, 2009

First try at going to a Korean baseball game

So someone started a facebook thread about going to a baseball game in Incheon this week. I knew that baseball is pretty big here in Korea, so I really wanted to experience at least one game while over here. One of the guys decided it'd be best to go on Wednesday because he saw that the Incheon team was playing home that day. I thought, "perfect, I'll have just enough time to go back to my place, change, and make it to the stadium by 5:45 and then watch a baseball game!". WRONG.

First off, I had my first experience with the Incheon Subway (I always use the Seoul subway line because my school is located off that line). So navigating the incheon line was a little more tricky simply because I'd never used it before! And it turned out to be a real subway (The Seoul Line 1 is more of a "train" because it's above-ground). Anyways, I thought I got off at the right stop, but as it turns out, I got off one stop too soon somehow. So I end up having to walk like 30 minutes until I could finally see the stadium. Literally as soon as I'm across the street from the stadium, I get a call from one of the guys I was meeting up with to watch the game, and he informs me that there is in fact no game today. You gotta be kidding me! I mean, I guess I should have been a little concerned when I noticed a severe lack of people walking to the stadium, but it never really crossed my mind that there was no game.

So I'm right by the stadium, and I see the subway stop that I should have gotten off at. I think, great, I'll just catch the subway here instead of walking back that 30 minutes to the other subway stop. WRONG again. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to cross the road to get to that fucking subway stop. I feel like some parts of Incheon are very pedestrian friendly, and other parts couldn't care less, and this was one of those spots. Defeated, I head back to the wrong subway station, catch it back to Bupyeong, and of course I somehow manage to exit the Bupyeong station in a direction that I was totally unfamiliar with. It just seemed like if it could go wrong yesterday, it did go wrong. I realized I'm pretty much out of the "honeymoon" stage by now, and I'm getting annoyed much easier by certain things (ie my inability to effectively navigate the city using public transportation). I may just start using cabs more often now...haha

No comments:

Post a Comment